The objective of the subcommittee is to support the IEEE Smart Grid Initiative, promote ComSoc’s position in the development and promotion of Smart Grid related technologies, and particularly, ensure that ComSoc members will paly a decisive technological role in Smart Grid Communications. The transformation of the electricity grid into a smart grid is perhaps the most extensive and ambitious undertaking in electrical engineering of today. Information and communication technologies are the essential enablers of such a transformation. After communication technologies have revolutionized personal communications and turned wireless communications into a commodity, now they face a vast set of new challenges posed by the smart grid. In the context of electricity grid, communication systems need to be seen as part of a larger system of systems, including in particular energy, control, and information processing systems. The important performance requirements include: support for low-latency real-time communication, reliable communication with a massive number of sensor and actuators, grid security, tight interaction with computing and control, efficient support of the system and market operation through integration of heterogeneous elements.
The broad topics of interest include:
- Cyber-Physical Wide-Area Monitoring, Protection & Control (Cyber-Physical WAMPAC)
- The Whole Picture – Sense, Communicate, Compute, Control
- Smart Grid Cyber Security and Privacy
- Support for Storage, Renewable Resources and Micro-grids
- Demand Side Management, Demand Response, Dynamic Pricing
- Communications and Networks for Smart Grids and Smart Metering
- Smart Grid Services and Management Models
- Smart Grid Standards, Co-simulation, Test-beds, and Field Trials.
The present subcommittee started as an Ad-Hoc Smart Grid Communications Committee in 2010, with Dr. Stefano Galli as a founder. In 2013 it has been renamed to Emerging Technical Subcommittee on Smart Grid Communications. Since its inception, the subcommittee has helped with the organization of the IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm).